Creating Leg Armor Pieces
Armor Pieces are a great entry point to the TennoGen program. Leg armor pieces allow players to add more visual interest to their Warframe’s silhouette and allow creators to explore different styles and factions within the game’s universe. Since these armor pieces are placed in highly mobile areas on our characters, there are important guidelines and technical limitations you will need to keep in mind!
NOTE: We are only accepting sets including two leg armor pieces. Individual pieces will not be considered at this time.
Armor Pieces are intended to fit all Warframes, and the attachment peg should be long enough to fit into all leg shapes. It may be tempting to design a piece that fits closely around the shin, but with the diverse Warframe designs, a more generic attachment style is recommended to ensure it works on everyone!
There are general size boundaries that need to be respected to reduce clipping and ensure the armor pieces do not collide during walking animations. Any pieces that curve behind the knee towards the thigh can lead to clipping. If your armor extends towards the inside of the shin, make sure it protrudes forwards or backwards, not towards the other leg, as increased bulk here can cause the two armor pieces to collide.
You are welcome to push the envelope at your own risk. We reserve the right to reject pieces that unnecessarily go beyond the boundaries. Asymmetrical designs are welcome, but both legs share the same texture set, so plan accordingly if you go this route.
- Triangle budget: 5000 total for both pieces
- Maps Authored at 1024 x 1024, in-game will be 512 x 512.
- Requires one full set of textures (both legs share the same texture set) as per our texturing guide here.
- Attachment point needs to be along the front or side of the shin bones.
- Shoulder pieces should be submitted at 0,0,0 (world center) and oriented accordingly
- Please adhere to our file naming convention: LegR.fbx and LegL.fbx.
- Avoid contemporary references, pop culture, and 'meta' humour. While we have fun with this during holiday times your goal should be something that fits with the Warframe universe as it is.
- Your entry cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IPs, or make use of any images or material that you do not own.
- While any Warframe appropriate style is welcome we are not looking for minor variations on the same idea. We are not looking for 50 variations of "cool metal spikes"; the more compelling and original your idea, the more we will appreciate it.
Prior to submission, please refer to the handy checklist below to make sure your Armour Piece meets all the TennoGen criteria: