Creating a Chest Armor Piece
Chest Armor Pieces are a great entry point into the TennoGen program -- they let you explore any faction’s art style and give our Tenno community an opportunity to find an individual look for their Warframes. While Chest Armor Pieces offer creators a lot of freedom, there are some technical limitations and tips you’ll need to keep in mind to ensure your design performs well!
Modeling for games is well beyond the scope of these short guides. Luckily we live in a time with fabulous education resources available, and we recommend you do your research on how to get the most out of your tools.
Here’s one of our favourite resources to recommend to creators:
- A focus on weapons from our Assistant Art Director, Lucas Hug: https://vimeo.com/lucashug
- Chest Armor Pieces are intended to fit all Warframes, and the attachment peg should be long enough to fix into both the most convex and the most concave chests.
- Triangle budget: 2500
- Maps Authored at 1024 x 1024, in-game will be 512 x 512.
- Requires a full set of textures as per our texturing guide here.
- Attachment point needs to be along the bust.
- There are general size boundaries that need to be respected to reduce clipping. You are welcome to push the envelope, but at your own risk. We reserve the right to reject pieces that unnecessarily go beyond the boundaries.
NOTE: Please keep the difference in size between Warframes in mind! A small dainty piece might show up well on Mag, but not make an impact on Chroma. We provide all the Warframe meshes, be sure to test how your piece performs on a variety of different Warframes.
It is very difficult to make a compelling piece that works well with all Warframes. We don’t want to handicap a compelling design, but please do what you can to accommodate the extremes of different chests.
- As always, avoid contemporary references, pop culture, and 'meta' humour. While we have fun with this during holiday times your goal should be something that fits with the Warframe universe as it is.
- Your entry cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IPs, or make use of any images or material that you do not own.
- While any Warframe appropriate style is welcome we are not looking for minor variations on the same idea. We are not looking for 50 variations of "cool metal spikes"; the more compelling and original your idea, the more we will appreciate it.
Prior to submission, please refer to the handy checklist below to make sure your Syandana meets all the TennoGen criteria: